Sunday 13 November 2011

the grapeness of things

Grapes have long been a source of artistic intimidation for me.  How can one capture all these little bastards at once?  Each one a different shape and hanging at a different angle; one drooping here, another nestling in there.  Then all those stems crossing every which way!

 I know I should be doing a pencil sketch first, blocking in the major shapes and then gradually getting more refined, but I just want to experiences the grapeness going on.  So I just grab some favourite felt-tip markers and dive in.

All those lovely shapes gradually start leading me and I get captivated by these small fruits.  It is heaven trying to render these gorgeous shapes - all unique, all playing their part in this grape landscape.  I turn the plate that the grapes are resting on - a whole new countryside opens up before me.  A few days later, I pick up the bunch and reassemble them in a whole new pose.  A cheap model for £1.35!

3 comments:

  1. These turned out great. I don't think I've ever heard grapes called "little bastards" before. Thanks for making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Susan, your grapes are AMAZING! And courageous, to go straight to felt tip! Also sort of freeing, in a way - not being able to go back and erase makes it easier to be at peace with what comes out - I find :)
    I love your grape studies!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course, that's 'amazing', not amaing!

    ReplyDelete