Wednesday 9 November 2011

the importance of being earnest

Lately I’ve enjoyed copying pen-and-ink drawings from the 15th and 16th centuries.  Since I’m a relative newcomer to pen-and-ink (and have never been properly taught how to do the shadow thing), I feel like these artists are teaching me a lot.  Here’s a piccie I copied last night:

Copying is a great way to learn technique but it needs to be seen as a step to flying solo.  Art is about experiencing freedom and copying just allows you to experience someone else’s freedom.  So recently, I’ve been doing some of my own work and must say I’m having a blast.  This piece, “Pears on Purple,” was taken from the imagination:


While rendering the shadow, I tried to channel those Renaissance artists in order to create the pictures I had copied.  But very quickly, I learned this was the wrong strategy.
“Be sincere,” came the instinct.  “Don’t try to pretend. Don’t try to be ‘skilled’ or ‘talented.’  Just be sincere.”  
So I started putting in lines from the gut.  I tried to relax; those old masters had given me such precise instructions and I felt lost without them.  It was a half-thrilled, half-scared sensation, facing this whole new world of light & shadow, entering into a huge universe of potential.  The number of ways you can describe a shadow is sort of overwhelming.  So I tried to accept the fact that there's only so much I can do.   
Today I drew these grapes, trying to keep it light, fun and, yes, sincere.  I picked them up at the Surrey Street Market in Croydon, which served as an inspirational model.   
By the way, last month I happened to catch “The Importance...” on the telly and thought it was a delightful Victorian romp!  For those who live in the South London area, The Dulwich Players are presenting this production in April.  Please click here for details. 

2 comments:

  1. SUE YOU ARE A NATURAL.. THESE ARE LOVELY.. YOU DON'T NEED LESSONS.. JUST KEEP DRAWING!! BEAUTIFUL WORK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Helen! I find shadowing one of THE hardest things to do, and you're totally pulling it off!! I LOVE your pears on purple (& the alliteration :)), and those grapes are absolutely AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete